Thursday, April 14, 2011

The future of streaming HD (1080p) to your house

Everyone knows the future home entertainment arena is now dominated by flat screen televisions, HD, 1080p, blu-ray, and now 3-D. What's questionable is the best method of getting this high def content to your TV. Right now there is a plethora of content sources. From blockbuster to redbox, from netflix to hulu and the likes. Today people like having options of different sources and especially love the convenience of streaming movies over there home internet. There's only one problem (for me anyways) with streaming content, and that is that its not 1080p blu-ray quality. This is why I still have an "old-fashion" blockbuster in-store account. I go to blockbuster almost bi-daily so I can pick up a physical copy of 1080p quality blu-ray content. Why do I do this? Because if I'm going to watch movies I only want the best quality. Why can't this be streamed over the internet? The problem is due to home bandwidth limitations. Current streaming sources can only stream and que video based on your home internet connection speed. Because these connections are too slow to support high quality we get low quality legacy picture. Why is a high quality tied to high bandwidth? The reason is that traditional DVDs hold about 4.5 GB of information. A Blu-ray disc holds about 50 GB of information. This is why Blu-ray can show such higher quality, the media technology holds 10x the data of its predecessor. But wait, there is light at the end of the tunnel! Home internet speeds are getting faster everyday and streaming sources are allowing per customer streaming quality based on there individual bandwidths. I'm happy we are finally getting to this point. I'm tired of going down to blockbuster and I've never even used Redbox because they don't have blu-ray. Soon I'll have blu-ray streaming to my TV. Next we will be streaming 3D. All hail another luxury of our great 1st world country and the many benefits of ever increasing home bandwith..

BTW - Comcast now offering 105\MBs , soon to be a common speed for all carriers.
http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/comcast-takes-home-broadband-to-105-mbps/

No comments:

Post a Comment